Kentucky Sports Blog

Random rants from a currently displaced Kentuckian

Friday, June 10, 2005

Tubby's Team?

THE PISTONS seem to me to be the NBA version of Tubby's Kentucky Wildcats. I'm not attempting to make any in-depth, player-by-player analysis of the rosters or the programs' histories. All I'm saying is that it's occurred to me while watching the Pistons (for the dozens of seconds that I'm able to watch non-Rockets NBA games before regurgitating) that they seem to play with Tubby's style.

The players are long and athletic. The offense is not flashy, necessarily, but it is based on high-percentage shots, unselfish play and the versatility of the players in the system. And of course, the fact that the Pistons all seem to honestly pride themselves on their defensive intensity, something that is a trademark of Tubby's teams at UK. The trick is getting multi-millionaire prima donnas to buy into such a team-first style of play, something that's obviously easier at the college level because those prima donnas are only making thousands of dollars rather than millions. (Did I say that?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home